Saturday, September 26, 2009

What's on the Topic Table?

Since they are studying ocean animals in Apologia Zoology-2 I pulled some things to highlight that topic. On the little table in the kitchen we have: a basket with an assortment of shells; parts of an orca cards; an ocean floor puzzle; and whale cards. I have shell sorting (univalve and bivalve) in the zoology box and I may just leave them where they are for now - I haven't decided (it's a small table).

We also have a soil testing kit (yes, that one has been out all summer and we still haven't done the experiment!!) and the materials ready to 'pan for gold.' Those aren't related to THE topic :) but they are pending and go along with other current topics. I guess I should call it the "Topics" Table.

If I can figure out how to post pictures here I'll upload one.

What's Cookin'?

Quiche is in the oven. Tortillas are mixed, waiting to be cooked (I like Kelly's Fermented Tortilla recipe - except that we never have any leftovers!). We'll cook them tonight after dinner so they'll be ready for tomorrow's burritos.

BTW, Kraft cheese now has "mold inhibitor" in its ingredients. Kroger and Wal-Mart store brands do not (yet) have that in the blocks although I think they do in the shredded. We shred the blocks and it freezes well. Kroger/Wal-Mart brands also use annato for coloring in the blocks. Annato is a spice so I believe that's fine.

Timer is beeping for the quiche, yeah!

No comments:

Post a Comment