Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Soaked Bread Machine Banana Bread

What's Cookin'?

I tried tweaking this recipe for cranberry pumpkin bread and it bombed.  I tried tweaking this recipe for banana bread and it bombed.  (sigh)  I finally tried tweaking the recipe in the manual that came with the bread machine for banana bread (why didn't I think of that sooner???).  I don't think my attempts bombed because I was using only wheat flour since I make bread all of the time in the bread machine with just white whole wheat flour.  I don't think it was the machine either (gee, could it be me??).  After 6 months I am finally starting to feel whiny about not having an oven....  Here goes:

Ingredients:

3/4 C water  (recipe called for 7 oz water, no kefir/whey)
1/4 C whey or kefir
2 C white whole wheat flour (recipe called for 1-1/2 C white and 1/2 C wheat)
1 Tablespoon gluten (that sounds really high to me but since I was trying to avoid another bomb I followed the directions)

1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 C mashed banana
1-1/2 Tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoons rapadura (recipe called for honey - use whatever sweetener you have on hand or prefer)
1 teaspoon Real Salt
2-1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast (OR 1-3/4 teaspoons quick rise yeast)(my jar says fast rise so I did 1-3/4 teaspoon)

Directions:

Soak the following overnight (or all day if you start in the morning): Flour, gluten, water, kefir/whey. You can use the dough cycle or the regular cycle and just stop the bread maker when it is mixed (regardless of the cycle used) - or just mix in a bowl.

After soaking, add the rest of the ingredients, push the start button (I used the whole wheat option because of the other 2 flops), and wait for the sweet aroma to fill the house.  It was very moist but cooked thoroughly.  Maybe the 1 less ounce from the original recipe makes a difference.  I will try just the 7 ounces next time.

This recipe is part of Real Food Wednesday.  Since I'm waiting to see if this recipe works before posting, mine will be l-a-t-e and few may read this by then, but anyway... Find lots of good recipes here:
http://kellythekitchenkop.com/2010/12/real-food-wednesday-12110.html

If you are looking specifically for Advent/Feast Day cooking ideas go here:
http://catholiccuisine.blogspot.com/

Sandwich Wrap Sale:

A while back I spent some time scouring the internet looking at "green" sandwich wraps.  I had high hopes of making some over the summer that never was.  One of the sites I ran across was this site from Frugal Granola.  Right now they have a bunch on sale.  I can't get any but maybe someone else can enjoy the sale :).  Take a look at the bargain bin as well - they have a 9" sandwich wrap on sale for $6.00.  If you click on sandwich wraps you'll find the small for only $5.00 (8").  Free shipping on US orders over $35.00. 
http://frugalgranola.bigcartel.com/
Hey, these could be used for Montessori materials on the shelf too! They are so pretty and practical.

What's Gardenin'?

Since I don't have anything going on and I'm not overwhelmed or anything (rolling eyes at self), I have drawn up some plans to make a little window herb garden with a shelf under it for shoes etc to put by the back door (it would go under our kitchen window).  In between chaos I have flitting thoughts like, "I need to look up what herbs to plant," "When can I get rid of the guinea pigs so I can use their space Should I start building now or wait for the guinea pigs to find a new home so I don't seem overly enthusiastic to the dc?"  (don't get me wrong I really enjoy the gpigs and they are sooo cute, it's just time for them to find a new home)  I was pleasantly surprised to see that this was the topic in Howard Garrett's newsletter that came in my inbox this morning.  I found a link for old newsletters but this one wasn't up yet; so, here's a quote:

"Here are some of my favorite herbs for growing indoors until you can plant outside again. By the way, the potted plants can be moved out to the garden in the spring. Aloe Vera, Basil, Bay, Chervil, Chives, Mint, Oregano, Parsley (Curly and Italian), Rosemary, Sage and Thyme."

You can find archived newsletters here:
http://www.dirtdoctor.com/organic/garden/view_question/id/2522/

Labeling food storage containers:

J. and K. mentioned using china markers to label food storage containers.  What a great idea!  I happen to have one that we use with the Dot Game for math (here is a photo of our Dot Game).  I'll try to remember to get another for the kitchen when we're out running errands.  You can see what they are here; I've always called them grease pencils:
Search Amazon.com for china markers

No comments:

Post a Comment