Monday, September 10, 2012

Our Menu

What's Schoolin'?

I guess we're flirting with unschooling because I was sooo sure we would finally have a 'structured' school day today (It's my 3rd try for an "official-ish" 1st Day of School with our great new schedule!).  However, we had a little goat emergency, had to go to town for medication, administer said medications, etc... On the other hand, oldest dd got some animal science/vet lessons (and so did the others, peripherally).  We also got to open our new school supplies and had a great lunch (freshly homemade Naan flatbread folded over with lettuce and cucumbers and nitrate-free salami) - so not a total school loss!  They did some school this afternoon and had fun re-organizing their desks and work areas.  It's fun to see their different personalities.  One dd went straight back to her Science she started last week, another has taken everything off of her desk and has all of these stacks on her bed (and has to spend time with every single item, lol), and another is totally off track sorting through her Webkinz, toys, and clutter (but decluttering so I'm not complaining!).

I found a small rolling cart at a thrift store Saturday that I can roll to and from the back room to the living room for lessons.  It already has my Montessori R and D Language and Math manuals on it.  I'm hoping that this will really help keep the coffee table clear!

What's Cookin'?

I was so grateful to wake up yesterday with a clear mind and no pain/fatigue.  I went into planning and making mode in the kitchen and took full advantage of feeling great, a.k.a. normal for most people, for a change!  I planned before church and the dc and I worked for a couple of hours in the kitchen together in the afternoon just enjoying time together.  Each of us took 2 recipes and did some great prep work for the week!

Dinners:

Apple/Chicken Patties on homemade yeast rolls
Chili and Cornbread
Tortilla Soup
Spaghetti and green salad
Tacos
Lumpias (with ground meat and cabbage)
Chicken Pot Pie
Beans and Rice with zucchini
Sides:  Vegetable/cheese oat cake; green salad; sauteed zukes, tomato, onion, pepper.

Lunches/Snacks:

Zucchini Bread
Cranberry oat muffins
Cottage cheese and fruit
Cucumber Boats (with homemade chicken salad inside)
Carrots
Melon
Buttermilk smoothies
Bean/Cheese melts
Cheesy mini-meatloaves (or cheeseburger cups)
Pasta Salad (cold pasta with cucumber, etc)
"Einstein Burgers" (2 C cooked beans, 1 C cooked rice, veggies)
Protein Bars
Homemade animal crackers
homemade chocolate pudding
Rice pudding
Pumpkin cookies

What dds and I did in the afternoon:

Oldest dd made 4 pie crusts that are in the fridge ready for me to make the chicken pot pies.
Youngest dd made zucchini bread; then she made her own dessert recipe.
Middle dd prepped the Naan bread that we cooked today for lunch and made the yeast rolls for the patties.
I baked one pack of chicken thighs; put another chicken pack of breasts in the crockpot; made the chicken/apple patties; cooked some 'zucchini mock crab cakes' for a side some day, and made cornbread.

The hardest part of cooking ahead is actually waiting to eat it!


3 comments:

  1. In case I don't get a chance to type up our recipe right away, here are a few links to recipes online. I like to shred and freeze zucchini in the summer to make this any time of year.

    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/zucchini-bread-recipe/index.html

    http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,174,129189-250199,00.html

    My daughter's recipe has lemon rind and ginger but it's not necessary.

    I love your signature of crispy fish lumpias! Do you have a recipe for that? We occasionally make traditional lumpias with ground pork and cabbage (in eggroll wraps, though - no lumpia wraps around here) but my children will put almost anything in an egg roll and call it a lumpia, lol.

    Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ignore my question - I found your recipe! It sounds delicious to have fish in a lumpia.

    ReplyDelete